Thursday, May 21, 2009

Doubt is better than Certainity

I loved these lines quoted by Milton Glaser one of the most important, prolific and profound leaders in visual and graphic arts in his 10 Art secrets
"if you believed that you had achieved enlightenment you have merely arrived at your limitation. I think that is also true in a practical sense. Deeply held beliefs of any kind prevent you from being open to experience, which is why I find all firmly held ideological positions questionable. It makes me nervous when someone believes too deeply or too much. I think that being sceptical and questioning all deeply held beliefs is essential. Of course we must know the difference between scepticism and cynicism because cynicism is as much a restriction of one’s openness to the world as passionate belief is. They are sort of twins. And then in a very real way, solving any problem is more important than being right"

You can find the whole article here

No comments: